By Ben Alex
Spring Roo is SpringSource's new open source technology which delivers working enterprise Java applications within 10 minutes. Roo's incredible productivity boost is reflected by end user comments like "I'm impressed", "liking it", "here comes some innovation", "Roo looks interesting and works", "very impressive tool" and "very cool". Come along and find out what has got everyone excited, direct from Ben Alex - the Roo project's founder and lead.
Spring Roo provides interactive, lightweight (a 3 Mb download!), user customizable tooling that enables rapid delivery of high performance enterprise Java applications. Spring Roo includes numerous features, some of which include:
- Working applications within 10 minutes of finishing the download
- 100% Java programming, offering developers a familiar, mature and mainstream programming platform
- Transparent, reliable and productive IDE services like code assist, debuggers, visual error reporting etc
- Extremely efficient runtime performance, type safety and zero runtime dependencies on Roo
- Zero lock-in and dependence on Roo (optionally jump-start your project then remove it in ~4 clicks!)
- Automatic, best practice Spring Framework 3 application architectures
- Maven 2-based project structures
- JPA-based persistence (eg via Hibernate) and with 100% JPA compliance and implementation portability
- Bean Validation (JSR 303) support, including propagation of the constraints down to database DDL
- Automated JUnit integration tests that build on Spring Framework's integration test features
- An automated RESTful application backend, complete with Selenium tests and URI rewriting
- Dynamically creating finders on your entities, producing robust JPA QL finder methods without any coding
- Spring Security and Spring Web Flow installation ("install security") installation
- Messaging support, including both email and JMS
- Round-trip support that sustains higher productivity over the full application lifecycle
- Embedded Tomcat server container usage
- Full Eclipse and SpringSource Tool Suite integration
- An easy-to-use, tab-completing, hint-providing, contextually-aware command line shell
- Scripting support
In this presentation, Ben Alex will introduce Spring Roo. Ben will cover what is Roo, how to get started, and how to build a new enterprise application in just minutes.
Attendees who invest their time in this session will leave with a comprehensive understanding of what Roo is and its basic operation. We look forward to introducing this exciting new Spring project to you.